The remnants of the imperial palace from the Augustan period at Damecuta were severly damaged between 1806 och 1809, when English soldiers prepared artillery positions to defend against an expected French landing.
In connection with this even the Medieval guard tower was torn down, so that after acquiring the property, Dr. Munthe rebuilt it, based on his own imagination. It was never used as a residence.
When Munthe domated the area to the Italian sate in 1936, the Roman foundations were excavated and a fresco was discovered under the tower, which otherwise was used to protect the discoveries. Reconstruction of the tower was renewed in the 19560’s, following a lightning strike.
Architect, Director of Villa San Michele (1975-1995)